It is important to know that the Bible cannot be understood
intellectually, but it is Spirit explained and revealed. “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the
Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
(1 Cor 2:14) Note that they are not intellectually discerned.
The Bible is not
like any other book.
It was written by the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit must
illuminate and enlighten the reader. (That is not to say that one shouldn't look up definitions of words that one doesn't
understand...) But the reason why people of normal intelligence read the Bible and say 'I don't really understand it'
is exactly because God meant it to be so.
As humans we are in rebellion against God. Truth
does not give/reveal itself to a rebel.
God will not teach the man who is not willing to obey.
He will not satisfy the merely curious.
“I thank thee,
O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto
babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight .” (Luke 10:21) The intelligent, the curious
will never understand the Bible. Only those who come humbly and willing to obey saying like King David: “Teach
me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth” (Psalm 86:11) “Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes;
and I shall keep it unto the end.” (Psalm 119:33).
Being saved is pictured in the Bible as striving (trying very hard) to enter
in at a narrow gate:
- “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that
leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth
unto life, and few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:13,14)
- “Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.”
Being saved is pictured as searching
for hidden treasures:
- “Yea, if thou criest
after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid
treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.” (Proverbs 2:3-5)
- “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which
when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.”
Being saved is pictured as seeking:
- “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you;
seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.” (Luke 11:9)
- “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe
that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6)
- “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”
Being saved is pictured as dying
to self and Christ living in me from that moment on:
- “And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:2)
- “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth
in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for
me” (Galations 2:20)
- “Now if we be dead with
Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath
no more dominion over him.” (Romans 6:8-9)
God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I
unto the world.” (Galations 6:14)
saved is pictured as the Lord Jesus Christ “that eternal life” marrying me and saving me by becoming ONE with
- The Lord Jesus Christ IS eternal life.
If I am not ONE with Him I perish.
life” is not in the scriptures (ie: the “letter” of the text - 'believing' something). Eternal Life
is in a Person, it is a Person: Eternal Life = the Lord Jesus Christ.
- 1 John 1:2 says “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes,
which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen
it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)”
Note that is says “that eternal life”, the Lord Jesus.
- In John 17:3 it says “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God and Jesus Christ,
whom thou has sent”. The word “know” means an intimate personal knowledge (like in marriage).
If one “knows” God, it is only by going via “the way”, the Lord Jesus, and by becoming one with the
Lord Jesus “that they also may be one in us” (John 17:21).
- Jesus said “I am the resurrection, and the life” (John 11:25) If we are abiding IN Christ,
we are abiding in eternal life, and we have the Inner Witness (the Holy Spirit) to prove it to our inner being on a level
that passeth knowledge.
- For this cause shall a man leave his father
and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning
Christ and the church.” (Ephesians 5:31, 32)
- “and as
the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee.” (Isaiah 62:5b)
- The Lord Jesus Christ is the bridegroom (Luke 5:35) and the church (true believers)
are the bride. The “marriage supper of the Lamb (the Lord Jesus)” will take place in heaven (Revelation 19:9)
- the Lord Jesus is the hero on the white horse that all little girls dream off: “And
I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness
he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written,
that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his
mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth
the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING
OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.” (Revelation 11:16) You will either welcome Him if you are on His side, or
be terrified if you are on His enemy (Satan's) side.
saved is pictured as becoming a servant of the Lord:
- “But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end
everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22)
- “Know ye not,
that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience
unto righteousness?” (Romans 6:16)
saved is pictured as becoming obedient to the Lord:
- “And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;” (Hebrews
- the unsaved are called “the children of disobedience”
(Ephesians 2:2, 5:6; Colossians 3:6)
- “But God be thanked,
that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then
made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.” (Romans 6:17, 18)
So what to do?
- Pray that God would convict you of your sins and your unrighteousness and of
the judgment to come; that you are lost and will perish.
the Lord. (Matthew 6:33)
- Pray for the “fear of
the Lord”, as it “is the beginning of knowledge”. (Prov 1:7)
- Pray to have your eyes and ears opened to God’s Truth. (Mark 8:18)
- Pray that God would open the eyes of your understanding. (Luke 24:25)
- Pray that you would see yourself as God sees you (dead in sin). (Ephesians 2:1)
- Pray that God would make you hate sin and love holiness.
- Pray to have a hunger and thirst for righteousness. (Matthew
- Repent. Make a 180°. Turn from known sin
in your life.
- Pray for a “broken heart” and
a “contrite spirit” (Psalm 34:18; 51:17)
- Pray for
the grant of repentance (a repentant heart). (Acts 11:18; 2 Tim 2:25)
with an obedient heart; pray for a willingness to obey.
obeying whatever the Lord shows you.
- Pray for the gift of faith.
- Pray that God would make you a “new creature”
(2 Cor 5:17)
- Pray for the miracle of being “begotten of
God” (‘born again’) (1 John 5:18)
- Read God’s
Word (the Bible) and ask the Lord to illuminate It for you and teach you in your heart.
- And if you don't feel like it, set your will and seek the Lord anyway and pray that you would
want to seek God and that the Lord would find you and that you would find the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Lord will show Himself to you and bring you to repentance,
save you and give you a new heart and you will experience the new birth and you will know that His Holy Spirit lives inside
you. The Holy Spirit will talk to you through the Bible. And He will teach you and help you to take
up your cross daily and to mortify your old nature. And the Lord will begin to make you over in His image and prepare
you for your eternal home. And your soul will stop torturing you and you will have true joy (and suffering and persecution
- “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” [2 Timothy 3:12]). But you
MUST continue to OBEY. “He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments,
and live.” (Proverbs 4:4) “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.” (1 John